Other than my Row by Row experiences last Tuesday, I mostly stayed home and sewed this week. I had an unpleasant conflict with the bobbin winder on my Nina (see photo above) which I've never had to deal with before. Clumsy of me! (definitely not the machine's fault - my Bernina model 550 has a separate motor for the bobbin winder; I managed to get the thread under the bobbin rather than inside it and produced a nasty thread-wasting snarl in result). :P
Because I used quite a bit of energy on my road trip, I spent Wednesday teaching this month's Gravity session and little else. I am sooooo enjoying this class - great students, great classroom (At Springwater Designs)! I managed to finally get a syllabus worked up as we have, at long last, received all the fabrics and pattern books from Robert Kaufman. Whew! It's fun to watch my students progress, too - a couple are using batiks instead of the kitted solids and at least one is making the project in half size. Exciting! :)
Monday evening, before our trip, I attended my local guild's weekly meeting (Faithful Circle Quilters). I always enjoy this group - I've been a member since 1987. My friend Caren had sewn up a new bag (she is a great bag maker and sells them at shows) - a child sized backpack made with Disney princess fabrics. It positively SCREAMED 'buy me!' so I did. Grin. My great-niece Kennedy had her seventh birthday the previous week and I owed her a nice gift. In addition to the backpack, I had already made her a pillowcase:
It has been a while since I sewed up a case so I actually had to look up a 'burrito pillowcase making' tutorial (called that because of the way you attach the hem fabric). Sewed it with French seams, too, which I rarely make - even though it was a mundane item, I got to stretch myself as I made it up. :) Hopefully she has already received the package so my post here won't be a spoiler. Grin.
My niece Kimmie also had a birthday recently and I particularly wanted to give her a special gift. I have purchased, over the years, what turned out to be about 45 artist-quality somewhat expensive Copic brand alcohol markers which I decided needed a new, more loving, home. :) Kimmie is quite artistic (and of limited means, being young and self-supporting) and I wanted her to have a way to keep expressing herself. I searched for a week in a slow way to find my markers, without success ... so, on Thursday, I really dug in to find them. Sounds easier than it turned out to be. :)
I have a corner in my living room where I've stashed a variety of 'in progress' projects, mostly hand work and knitting. I dug them all out and sorted through them (and cleaned up the corner). I had purchased a label making machine (an inexpensive Brother model) earlier and, after my son helped me figure out how to use it (embarassing!), put proper labels on all the containers. I also weeded out things I thought I'd never actually get around to doing and put the lot in a donation bag for Goodwill. Somewhere near the end of the clean, I found my Copics. whew! After much dust breathing and box shifting (assisted by my son), I had the corner rearranged to my satisfaction and the birthday gift found at last. :)
In between the shifting and sorting, I managed to finish my first text word for the modern guild quilt (having found more fabrics on my row by row trip):
The row is straight (laying out on the sofa crookedly:)...the red/yellow bits are strip pieced and not a striped fabric (wouldn't _that_ have been a good find?:). I am happy with the way it turned out - I am eager to see how this quilt works up! I still have my second word to work on but was interested in doing other things with my limited sewing time.
Saturday I went out in what turned out to be heavy pouring rain to mail Kimmie's gift off to her in Kansas ... and got soaking wet. Haven't seen such heavy rain since the last time we had a hurricane though here. :P Luckily I had at least the wisdom to wear a coat, though it got wet right through and took hours to dry off once I was back home. :)
Sunday afternoon was the monthly meeting of my Sew and Tell sewing group. Barbara and I went out to member Genie's house for the meeting (and did not take the wrong turn this time - Genie lives in the rural western parts of Howard County near Sykesville on a small retirement 'farm'). Barbara had finished her wedding quilt project (the one I helped her with, making the scalloped outer border) and it was gorgeous:
I'm sorry that you can't see the quilting on the piece. Maria O'Haver did it for Barbara with lots of vining feathers and swirls. Very, very nicely done and gently airy - modern and serene. Barbara is off in August to gift it to the recipient, the daughter of a since-childhood friend back home in southern Illinois.
Genie brought out a huge bin of scrap fabrics while we were there and I dug out a few select 'modern' prints for using on this month's bee blocks. Mary chose a design called Circle of Friends for her pattern and here's how they came out (I sewed them up Sunday evening, after the meeting and a bit of rest-up at home) .. she wanted the 'circle' squares to be white and the rest scrappy and I think this is pretty scrappy! :)
I'll be interested to see the other blocks!
Today I hope to do some other sewing and maybe cleaning, after I make some phone calls to deal with estate details. Tonight is guild meeting again which I always look forward to attending. :)