Today I woke up when my alarm went off at 9:30 in the morning. Major surprise to me. :) I got up with a sore chest and sneezes ... no doubt another round of this nasty cold. Sigh. As the day has progressed, it has improved, though, so I'm thinking that taking it easy at home is a good thing. :P
After breakfast and email reading, I went down to my sewing area and started in on binding my swap quilt. At first I had thought I might use a facing instead, but I decided that the piece needed the color framing of a more usual binding. I chose to piece the binding from strips of the bright prints I used in the 'plus' parts of the top, as you can maybe see from the quick photo I took above to share on Instagram. Making the binding must have been too mentally demanding for my cold-soaked brain 'cause I made several mistakes in the piecing.
How hard, you might wonder, is it to sew a bunch of 6" long strips together end-to-end with diagonal seaming? Apparently harder than you'd think as I had to unsew several of the joins (gotta remember which is the right side of your binding as you construct the thing). Sigh. Eventually I made enough of the stuff to encircle the quilt. Then I remembered that there needed to be some kind of hanging sleeve or mounting method on the back. I always do that part before the binding is attached to strengthen the hanger's structure.
For this small a quilt (only 24" square, remember), I chose big triangles on each corner at the top and a wide-ish strip in the center. A dowel or lath strip can be used to hang the quilt, whatever the recipient has to hand and likes to use. :) So, I made pieces using the ombre green fabric leftover from piecing the backing. _Then_ I attached the binding to the quilt.
I have developed a method of sewing the binding on the back and turning it toward the front where I sew the fold down with decorative stitching and coordinating colors of thread. My hands have long since gotten too fragile to sew bindings down and this method saves a lot of pain. I think the stitching adds a bit of interest to the outer edge of the quilt, too. :)
After about two hours of working, the hanging stuff was attached and the binding finished. DONE! :) Well, I have to label the quilt still, but it is finished.
I'll take a proper photo of the piece when I can get somewhere outside that will let me display the entire quilt. :)
Other than finish my swap quilt, I managed to make three small birthday gifts for my Sew&Tell friends this evening while watching tv. Luckily I don't have to sneeze too often as every one makes my back spasm. Physical ills are soooooo boring. :)
I hope the sun shines tomorrow - I am getting pretty weary of gray skies.