At the risk of 'jinxing' my recovery, I think I might actually be getting well from this expletive-deleted virus. I did sleep long and well last night and today my stomach seems to be digesting correctly (so far, so good:). Sigh. I decided that a quiet day at home sewing was just the ticket to complete recovery.
When last I tried to sew anything, I was working on piecing hexagons for a table runner. Today I cut out the pieces and made the last of twelve hexies for the project (see above). I still think of these subtle Daiwabo prints as winter colors - the midAtlantic area where I live definitely looks like this in winter ... soft grays, browns, beiges, charcoals all run together in the landscape.
You might be able to tell if you look closely at the photo (you can click to enbiggen it:) that I have sewn the pieces together with a narrow zigzag stitch. Each piece of fabric is stretched and glue basted over paper pieces, a la English Paper Piecing, then placed side-by-side and sewn together. When I finish the entire top, I will remove the papers and quilt my table runner.
There are some fine points to keep in mind when making EPP items, no matter whether you sew them by hand or machine, baste them by sewing or gluing. You must be sure that the fabric conforms closely to the paper template or your pieces won't fit together without error ... you must be sure your stitching method (whatever it is) completely pulls the patches together so there are no gaps through which the batting can escape in the finished object. :) I'm happy to say that I've done enough of this by machine now to be completely comfortable with that method (have done way, way more by hand in previous projects ... but the hands tire of the toil:).
After I sat and pieced the last of my patchwork hexies, I joined them together into a top ... here are some oblique photos I took of the top, just for teasers. :)
When I get the papers all removed and the top basted for quilting, I'll take a photo of the entire thing. :)
By the time I finished assembling the top of my runner, I was tired, tired (still not much stamina) ... so I ate dinner while watching my husband play a video game and read for a while. My kitty is feeling enough better that she sleeps in the sunshine in the accustomed place on the back of our sofa, alternating with sitting on my chest and purring. I am so glad she is improving and seems to be eating well at last. Maybe she will gain back a little of the weight she lost.
At once point in the early afternoon I got annoyed with my husband and son. We had run out of 'things to drink' - which, in our house, is indicative of only a few things to eat as well. :) I shoved the two of them out the front door (metaphorically:) to go grocery shopping ... which they did, happily. Now we have plenty of things to eat and drink and I feel more confident about sewing all weekend. :)
As has become my habit, I decided to sit at my computer desk and watch streaming tv this evening while doing hand work. I discovered The Legend of Sleepy Hollow yesterday, so I'm watching my way through that series. For fiber work right now I'm crocheting on the Moorland Afghan project with Attic 24. I am not nearly as good at chrochet as I am at knitting (however good that may be:), but I think this project is coming along ok. I don't think my working stitch tension is as consistent as it should be ... but I'm certainly getting plenty of practice. :) Here's what I have so far:
I don't know if you can tell from the photo but the stitch is supposed to look like waves. The yarn is a very nice quality acrylic and I expect most of the bumpiness to block out in the end. Luckily for my sanity, you only work two rows in each color before changing to another...One thing I do need in any project is working variety. :)
I hope tomorrow will be another quiet sewing day!